Futurity--what does it mean

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_mini

Reaction score
Okay I am having a blonde moment. I have been checking the Nationals class list just to see how people are doing and I have a questions. Could someone please explain the Futurity classes and how are they different from the other "open" classes. I know it involves receiving $$ but is that the only difference? Thanks in advance!

MY UNDERSTANDING (and this could possibly be inaccurate)....

Futurity is a program to reward breeders (and owners) for breeding good horses.

To participate in the futurity, a stallion is nominated (fee paid) and every mare (whose owner wishes or participate) is also nominated (another fee paid) thus the resulting unborn foal is nominated (no extra fee during suckling/weanling year) for a horse to continue to compete (up through its 3yo year) the current owner of the horse has to "sustain" it (e.g. pay another fee yearly).

The foal - 3yo that was born and is in this Futurity program - can compete at Nationals in the appropriate futurity division -- for money. Depending on the foal's/3yo's placings - the breeder (owner of the mare at time of foaling), the stallion owner and the owner of the foal/3yo at the time of the showing - all receive money.

There is also a special gelding futurity -- if you geld the futurity nominated horse - you can sustain him in the gelding Super G futurity etc..

There are also driving futurities - that work along the same line - nominating unborn foals for their future show successes.

The amount of money awarded depends on the number of horses nominated into the program the year that horse was born... and sustained over the years it is eligible.

First place wins a lot of money and the amount diminishes as the placings get lower.

It is an excellent program and a way for breeders to make some money back - but the catch is that the foals have to be shown for you to win anything.

Some local clubs have their own futurities.

JJ

:new_shocked: .....thanks for the explination--i'm still learning these classes and it always helps when you know what the heck kind of class you are looking at!

Latest posts

Back