looking for a professional traininer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minis2love

Reaction score
What do you look for in a professional trainer? How much dose one usually cost? What are the warning signs of a bad trainer? I saw one professional that had his horses in 4x8 stalls, they could not see out, where let out only once a day for exercise. I was horrified. Is this normal? Thanks

Wow, excellent question. Here is what my hubby & I have found out in this area..... do your homework, read up on the trainer (if possible) and ask around. I think one of the best things I have found is go to some local shows where the trainers are showing & watch, learn & listen. I will tell you this I have seen some trainers that I would LOVE to work with and I have seen some trainers who I WOULD NEVER use, just by how they treat the animals they are dealing with and not only the animals but how are they treating their students or the general public for that matter.

Go to the trainers barn & look around, if you have a gut feeling that the place is not on the up & Up, it probably isn't. I know we dealt with one trainer who was as nice as the day is long, but to me, the trainer turned out to be a little flakey...and by that I mean, we would have lesson times & we would show up & the trainer wouldn't be there, etc, etc.....and this was not a barn that was close to where we lived, so that got old in a hurry.

Ask others who they use and how they liked how they worked with them & their horses, etc....I tell you people are usually very honest when it comes to their horses, atleast that is what I have found.

You can also do some searches on the LB sight for trainers, etc...and some trainers may be able to recommend other trainers in your area, etc.

As for cost, it varys on what kind of training you want done, performance, halter, etc. I think we paid like $400 a month or so and that included board also. But that was a couple years back...but it gives you an idea.

Good luck, I hope you find the right person for the job, I know now in hindsight, I would have done a lot more homework before picking the trainer we picked the first time around.
default_yes.gif
:

Valerie had some excellent suggestions. Always go with your gut feeling. I don't have a fancy piece of property with a fancy LQ gooseneck, but I'm honest with my clients and I treat their horses as if they were my own. Now, this isn't to say I baby them and feed them cookies all day (some potential clients expect this I've found). They are on a conditioning program and are worked as such. They are treated well with lots of praise, but they don't go without discipline either. Horses on my program do have minimal turnout free exercise, but do get taken out at least once a day for workouts. I try to give them a day to relax, but sometimes that's just not possible.

Personally, I would ask how they handle training problems and compare that to how you would expect it to be handled. That said, you are paying a trainer to train your horse, so if you get upset with discipline (stud chains, etc) then that trainer may not be the best match for you. Good luck! What area are you in so people can make recommendations?

honesty, honesty, and honesty....talk to as many folks as you can....word of mouth is ALWAYS the best advertising

An honest one - or nothing else matters! :no:

Latest posts

Back