Scaly hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I had noticed that my new mare's hooves were growing in junky looking. I was a little concerned about it, but I figured different care, plus I had to pull her off grain. I put her on a hoof supplement. But today I noticed my other mare is having the same issue. I've had her for years without this problem. I haven't changed her feed in maybe 2 or 3 years. They both get different hays. And my stallion's feet are the same as they always were. The new mare gets regular work, the other mare does not. Any ideas what I can do to fix it?

Attachments

• hoof.jpg
    hoof.jpg
    357.2 KB
That is confusing and I will be interested to hear what could be happening. In the meantime, would it be beneficial to wet down the hooves with a hose then coat with thin layer of hoof oil?

On the other hand, if it is some sort of fungus that would probably make things worse. 🤔 Would your vet take a look at some scrapings?

Hmmm, I never even though about fungus, I just assumed it had to be nutritional. I guess the vet will have to wait for when they come out for baby shots next month, I'm going to see what the farrier thinks in a week or so.

Wow, that is interesting. Don't horses just make you crazy?
I'd take some sand paper or a sanding block and whisk over one to see if it is something on the surface, like a fungus, or if it is nutritional.

Weather, feed, work, ground conditions can all play a role in hoof texture.

I have one this year with rough hoof walls. I'm going to oil them, once I buy some oil for them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the coronet band looks healthy, the hooves aren't splitting and the horse stays sound.

The farrier says it's just because it's been so dry here. He said I can use some oil or sand it off and it won't hurt them any. And that it may start to flake off by itself now that it is raining.

Latest posts

Back