Milk went from WHITE to YELLOW now back to WHITE.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
I have been watching my mare (who is close to foaling) closely for a little over 2 weeks. I have been checking her milk every night. She has been very easy to "milk" since I've started checking her. First couple of days her milk was more clear. Next few days it was white. For a week and a half it turned yellow. Now the last two nights it turned back to white. Does this mean anything?

Every mare can be different. What I think is most important is how thick and sticky it is.

I forgot to check if it was sticky, I just caught it in a cup and tested it. It came back between 6.2 & 6.4 in pH and between 500 & 1000 in calcium on the pool test strips.

What is the consistency of the milk? Is it watery, or more like syrup, thick and sticky??

Typically they get a very thick and sticky fluid, sometimes still clearish yellow, sometimes skim milk colored, sometimes more white when they are close to foaling. You can see photos of the milk colors/texture on the foaling signs pages on my website.

What is the consistency of the milk? Is it watery, or more like syrup, thick and sticky??
Typically they get a very thick and sticky fluid, sometimes still clearish yellow, sometimes skim milk colored, sometimes more white when they are close to foaling. You can see photos of the milk colors/texture on the foaling signs pages on my website.

Yes, I have been to your website several times over the past couple of weeks rereading the milk test section!

Her milk seems more thin than thick but her pH has definitely dropped 2 squares to the lowest, 6.2, tonight.

If her ph has dropped, and the calcium is high, I would watch her like a hawk! Good luck, hope you get a foal tonight!
default_smile.png

Do you know how many days she is and is this her first foal? Are the teats separated? Once I get sticky stuff I do not let her out of my beeper range. Good luck.

If her ph has dropped, and the calcium is high, I would watch her like a hawk! Good luck, hope you get a foal tonight!
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt][/size]My mare foaled last night at 12:30AM![/SIZE]
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
I sat just outside her stall from 9:30 pm until she foaled 3 hours later. It was so sweet!! It is a tiny little bay colt measuring 16 1/2 inches at the most and with a 5 1/2 inch canon bone. He is just so precious!!
default_wub.png
We did not go to bed until 5 am this morning.

Thanks Kim for the advice last night and your website foaling signs pages!!!
default_saludando.gif

Awesome, congratulations!!
default_smile.png
Hopefully you can get some pics of him to post for all of us to see. Love those new baby pics!
default_smile.png

I posted a few pictures in a new topic: "2ND FOAL OF THE SEASON"

Thanks for all the sweet comments!
default_wub.png

"Every mare can be different. What I think is most important is how thick and sticky it is. "

I agree with Maryann on this one. I have used test strips and they are not dependable for me. I have had mares test three squares and foal that night and others that test four squares for days. I too prefer visual analysis with the stickiness of the milk.

Congrats on your new baby!

Beth

"Every mare can be different. What I think is most important is how thick and sticky it is. "
I agree with Maryann on this one. I have used test strips and they are not dependable for me. I have had mares test three squares and foal that night and others that test four squares for days. I too prefer visual analysis with the stickiness of the milk.

Congrats on your new baby!

Beth
Actually her milk was not very thick or sticky when it came time, so it is very important to remember that each mare is different.

I agree with Maryann, also. The calcium level did not seem to be a great indicator. If you have not tested for pH in the past, I would suggest trying the strips again. It was the major drop in pH that indicated it was time. All the other signs from this particular mare had us guessing for weeks! Some mares are so easy to read, this one was not!
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back