My new colt is here!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little guy is doing well so far. No set backs yet. I know we may have them along the way, but so far so good. He loves his alfalfa.
default_laugh.png
He has a selection of hays to pick from and he's going for the green leafy stuff first! Pooping and drinking well. He tires quickly, but heck, I would too if I were nothing but bones!

I feel he's going to make it. As long as he eats, drinks & poops, we have LOTS of hope! I keep telling him he will be beautiful again and KICK BUTT in the show ring in 2010!
default_laugh.png

The vet will be here Friday to check his progress. I'll let you know what he says.

Once again, thank you all for the prayers & encouragement and even the shared outrage!

Viki

It makes me SICK that some people mistreat animals the way they do. NOT feed them?????? Their punishment should be the same as they gave out. Bless you for saving him....and prayers!

Wow, sounds like this little guy was literally on his last legs. He came frighteningly close to starving to death, but I'm praying that you can get him all the way back to his former potential. I know young animals can be surprisingly resilient, and while what he experienced was extreme, it didn't last very long, so hopefully no permanent damage has been done.

I have a friend who keeps trying to pasture feed her horses, and it just never works. The dominant animals try to hog all the feed, and we spend so much time and effort trying to spread the feed and hay around so that everybody gets their share, it is easier to just bring 'em all into the barn and feed them in their stalls. I imagine that is what has happened to this little guy. The owner was probably putting enough hay or whatever out there for the X number of animals he had, and it was all going into the top few. As young as this kid is, he was probably at the very bottom of the pecking order, and was probably only getting a mouthful here and there. I'm guessing that no other horse in that pasture looks as bad as he does, and some of the original horses are probably even fat! Poor kid, he's had a near miss, but things are so-o-o-o looking up for him now! Congratulations to you, and him, too!

That poor colt.
default_sad.png

I've seen other thin horses that people just didn't bother (or think to) check by feeling under all that winter hair, and I always stress that one needs to check HANDS-ON for body condition, on a very regular basis. I do this with all of my horses, including the big riding horses.

Adding my prayers and good thoughts for your colt's recovery!

I'm sorry to hear about the condition of your new little guy. Can't wait to see pics as he thrives under your care!

Prayers sent to the little guy.

Isn't he lucky that you have him!

As for the former owner, some people should just NOT own any animals.

Bunnylady, we had the same experience. We rescued a pasture fed horse who had long, long hair. The 20 others in the pasture had been eating her food. Under her hair she was emaciated. You could feel those ribs, backbone and hips. Just ridiculous.

One of our first challenges was to rid ours of worms. She really didn't want to eat any grain - only hay. She turned out to be full of big long worms. We wormed with ivermectin first. We then had to do the Safeguard for 5 days before we got all the worms out. Not to ruin anyone's dinner, but it looked like spaghetti every day in that poor baby's stall.

One of our other challenges were her teeth. She was three or four and had never had anyone look at her teeth. We had the mini dentist do her teeth which had never been done. It hurt her to eat!

Same with hooves. Our girl had never had her feet trimmed. They looked like elf shoes that turned up.

Now she is fit and happy.

I know your boy will be fit and healthy and happy too. Keep us posted on his progress.

oh Viki & Gemstone--that is just heartbreaking. The poor little guy. I'm so glad you've got him now, Viki, and it seems like maybe just in time. It's great to hear that he's doing well--it's going to take some time (much longer than 2 weeks as someone suggested) but just think how nice it's going to be to see him back in the condition he was in when the earlier photos were taken.

What is wrong with people, that they cannot tell when an animal is too thin? It's too bad that these Minis do have the hair that they have, because it does fool some people who don't know or don't care enough to actually touch the animal and feel if its bones are staying covered by more than just hair.

My neighbor commented just yesterday about how just because some people have some land and CAN own horses, doesn't mean they SHOULD own horses.

Jane is right--even if someone cannot see through the hair, if they looked at the legs and his neck and head and sad little face they would be able to see that there is a problem.

I would LOVE to be on a jury where someone is accused of animal neglect.

There are people down the road from us that have full size horses. They put out a round bale and figured that was plenty of hay for everyone. Unfortunately only about 4 of the dozen or so horses they had were actually getting to eat from the round bale. It would have been plenty of hay IF it was spread around. The rest were skinny and in sad shape. In a situation like that the dominant horses feed and the rest go hungry. The seller may have done something like this out of sheer ignorance and IF they were not putting their hands on the horses to feel their condition through the coat they could easily be mistaken into thinking the horses were fine. Thin horses tend to put on more hair to try to keep themselves warm.

When feeding hay in a pasture situation you need to have at least a few more piles than horses. We put out 2 piles for every horse at every feeding to be sure that everyone gets their fair share.

I am very careful to teach each and every person that comes on my farm how important it is to PUT YOUR HANDS ON THEM DURING THE WINTER. So many people spend time with their horses when the weather is nice and sunny but when its cold they toss them their hay and that's it. Lay your hands on their back - the spine should not be felt. Give them a scratch on the side and see how their ribs feel - you should only be able to feel them with a bit of pressure. Check their hips - the flesh should flow over the bones, there shouldn't be a hollow in front of the hip bone allowing you to cup your hand around the point of hip.

The only good thing about this little guy is that it has been my experience the younger they are the quicker they recover with good feed and care. I am so glad you have him Vicki! You have my prayers and good thoughts for his recovery.

Latest posts

Back