New elderly pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryFlora

Staff member
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
A month ago, we (I like to share the blame with hubby 😉) took in an older mini, Charlie.

The family wasn’t sure of his age, but thought older and wondered if he may have Cushings. We decided we could deal with whatever he needed and were glad to have him. The vet was out two weeks ago, determined he was between 20 - 25 years, and took blood samples for PPID. Sure enough, he tested positive.

He is a calm and sweet little guy and fits in fine. His housing was a lean to with big horses and the family was happy to see him in a setting with a barn and small equines.

Charlie is on a pergolid compound once a day, a powder which he eats with 1/2 cup of Purina Senior which is PPID appropriate. All of the minis are on large, but dry, lots with no free grazing only upland grass hay.

Attached are a few photos showing Charlie and the curly thick coat often associated with Cushings. I did shave his neck to give some relief from our heat wave but with cold weather getting close, the vet also thought it best to let him be. Hopefully the medication helps next year with more normal shedding and then if needed, a shave.

Maddie and friends are growing their woolies but nowhere near Charlie at this point. Maddie’s coat is similar in length to minis but coarser.

IMG_0316.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That's some coat! But he looks cute, and the pergolide should make a big difference for him. I'm so glad you could take him in!

Thanks you all! I’ve never had a horse with Cushings so am hopeful and curious to see what changes occur over time. It will be interesting, Marsha, to compare next year with this year and will sure let you know! ;)

In the meantime, he has very little muscle tone so we will be going on regular walks once the weather cools. It has been warm, in the upper 80’s with high humidity so not comfortable for a little guy in his fur coat. This weekend the temperatures are supposed to drop into the low 70’s with lower humidity so we should be able to start taking short walks and working up.

Definitely being properly medicated should help with the coat as well as the lack of topline muscle and the pot belly! Those are all Cushing's symptoms so I bet you'll see a dramatic improvement. He looks like a doll - I love old horses.

My 20 year old Billy is getting quite a coat already. I shaved his belly yesterday and he seems a lot more comfortable. Of course, you will be colder sooner than where I am, but just a thought. That darn humidity is so miserable.

If you buy your compounded pergolide from a reputable compounding pharmacy, it should be fine, but be sure to get capsules to help it's stability and keep it safer for you to handle. The ECIR group usually recommends Wedgewood pharmacy (or used to, it's been awhile since I followed the group) and there is another that I used, but I have to look up the name, if I can still find it. [I used Thriving Pets without issue, but just read on the ECIR group that they do not compound themselves, but sell product compounded by compounding pharmacies.]

Latest posts

Back