Putting "Goop" on horses faces ILLEGAL?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks you guys! So the goop isn't illegal? GREAT!! I personally don't razor(thats just me though and don't say people shouldn't be able to, I ride the fence on that one but anyways..) I personally use a little too much and then sometimes not enough on thier muzzles, still trying to perfect my "gooping" talent,lol

Good to know its not illegal though!!! I was just like, hmmmmmm I can sort of see not razoring? but what in the world does it hurt to use shine on, baby oil,ect ect?

Thanks everyone!!!
default_saludando.gif

Yes, i dont razor, but I do use a 40 on the muzzle and eyes and then baby oil for that little bit of shine. I will never Razor any of my horses, i dont care what anyone says...but I do use...goop lol

You guys seem to use far more 'goop' on your horses than we do in Australia. But even then, I wish we could show our horses in a more natural state. This is one of the major reason I am not showing Bailey and Willow. It would kill me to have to cut a good portion of Baileys gorgeous mane off just to show him (bridal path). I know you have to show off their necks, but look at their necks on the side the mane does not fall on.

I just hate all the makeup, clipping etc. Such a naturally beautiful animal.

I love the razored look and use it on my grey mare. The closer the clip on that mare, the darker her coat appears. Balding make her "Pop" IMO.

This:

JoyandDesafterArea22008.jpg

vs.

This:

JOY2008NATIONALS.jpg

AreaII2008JOY.jpg

MargoI so agree with you and your above statement. And no don't flame me either, its how I feel.

I don't see the need in doing it. And I think it looks so unnatural. It does not show the true horse.

Just my opinon.

Vicky
Well not much about halter horses shows the true horse that is just a fact. Razoring is allowed and no need to discuss it since it is a choice do it or not.

Sweating necks, throatlatches, shoulder, bellies all of these things do not show the true horse. Conditioning tricks to aid in the appearance of having a better hind end, better front end, prettier head or neck do not show the true horse.

I have to agree with Irish Hills Farms and say most people do not razor a pink nose and of course a lot depends on where you show and who and how many you are showing against.
I agree
default_smile.png

Okay, I don't show minis...yet. I did show my TB hunter- body clipped, pulled mane, a little razoring. But I think the goop looks ridiculous. Maybe I've just seen it when it's overdone. I think the show minis are just gorgeous- why slime them up? Wouldn't break my heart if nobody used it again.

I think that razoring any horse is a cruel thing to do. Have you seen the aftermath, they peel their skin and I am sure it would be quite painful. We show ours clipped using the clippers and always have, this year we won the best groomed division "B", so I think that has something to say for NOT razoring. If your horse has a good head there is no need for scalping them, to me it just looks like their noses are drooping of their face. Just my opinion, and personal choice.

Sadly there are many things some people do at horse shows that most of us would consider truly cruel when it comes to meeting the horses comfort and needs. I do not think razoring is one of them.

Sadly there are many things some people do at horse shows that most of us would consider truly cruel when it comes to meeting the horses comfort and needs. I do not think razoring is one of them.

Most of us always put the needs of the horse first, but I still disagree with razoring the horse, but it is your choice to do so if you wish.

I have to disagree that razoring is cruel and that their skin peels afterwards. I razored 2 of my horses for shows this summer and did 2 last year. Not one of them peeled afterwards and their hair grew back very quickly. One of the ones I razored is one who if she hates it or she feels it's going to hurt her, she's not going to let you do it. The mare feel asleep in my lap and loved it. She obviously didn't find it too cruel or painful because she let me do it time after time with no fight. And she's a mare who if you hurt her, you'll never be able to do it again.

None of my horses have ever peeled after I razor them and if they hated it, they wouldn't be falling asleep in my lap letting me do it. My horses come first and I wont do anything thats going to hurt them. My horses have yet to be affected by me razoring them and I think when it's done right on horses, it looks awesome.

If you make razoring illegal, you might as well also make using hoof black illegal. It does dry out the feet afterall.

default_wacko.png

~Jen~

I had asked a question along the same lines - not quite illegal but for AMHR - rule book page 243 section N Changing the coat color of a horse is not permitted but highlighting the mane and tail, eyes, ears, muzzle, etc is permissible.

I had not read that before and had just gotten some of the black tinted 'goop' (for my black faced blk white pinto) and some blacker than black shampoo and thought OMG I just got illegal product and can't use it - after asking on here I calmed down and will be using it.

Clipping I will do to go to a show - its a preference - I think they look better this way and its how I personally would want to present my horse.

Razoring I have not done at a show before (not mini show) but did clip face with a 40 blade which is pretty darn close

I razor. What I do is I clip w/ a 40 1 week before then the night before the show I do a 40 again then the morning before they go out I take a little razor like guy's or gals use and put some shaving creme on and right around the whisker area get all the stubble off. I NEVER gave it a 2nd thought. When I got into mini's someone told me to do it to get all the little hairs and I was like ok sounds reasonable and I've done it ever since. My horses don't seem to mind, they love being touched and messed w/ and momma is standing there cooing at them as I do it, saying how gorgeous they are etc. But, that's just the way I do it, so I don't see it as a problem. However, if your going to strip them bald it might look a little funny, I've seen some horses where they're faces were clipped VERY close and I was like WOW, weird looking. But that's just me. TJ

As much as I abhor the look of razoring, I don't believe it could be considered cruel. Perhaps in the hands of some, but then, a curry comb can be an instrument of torture if misused.

I detest the "slip and slide" look (LOVE that term!), and refer back to miniaddiction's photos of her gorgeous horses, beautifully presented without excess razoring or goop.

However, I would never want the registries to outlaw razoring. It is a matter of choice.

Yet it works both ways. Some speak as if a horse shown in a slick, natural coat is the equivalent of Miss America with hairy armpits. They make individuals feel as if they are wrong for wanting to do this. When I have told about showing my gelding in his slick, glossy natural summer coat, some responded as if I were showing a dirty, hairy horse. Hardly the case. A horse can be beautifully presented, fit and groomed to the max, without the Tammy Fay look (may she rest in peace).

I have to admit, however, that I can only do this June through mid-August, so any spring shows do require clipping.

I know of several judges (one told me in person) who prefer less artifice.

I would like to see the registries and judges encourage a more natural presentation, placing those horses who look great without an extreme makeover over those wearing an oil slick. Not that it's black and white -- all or none, no makeup vs. the works -- just favoring the horse that is beautiful with fewer amendments.

Wouldn't it be better to reward that which can be bred and reproduced?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100% with you on this one Leonie
default_yes.gif

You guys seem to use far more 'goop' on your horses than we do in Australia. But even then, I wish we could show our horses in a more natural state. This is one of the major reason I am not showing Bailey and Willow. It would kill me to have to cut a good portion of Baileys gorgeous mane off just to show him (bridal path). I know you have to show off their necks, but look at their necks on the side the mane does not fall on.
I just hate all the makeup, clipping etc. Such a naturally beautiful animal.

I think banning GOOP would be just stupid... I don't really razor only because of the shows I go to right now. I think if I were showing my horses at higher level shows I would probably do it. I have done it before. I have found that usually a tight clip works great on my horses... I think the whole skinning pealing thing only happens when someone stupid doesn't take responsibiity of their horse's welfare and doesn't put sun block on the balded area or under shade...and what not...

Edited to fix my poor grammar...

Like the look or not, I can't see razoring as cruel. There are many things done to show horses in all breeds that are inhumane, I don't think this is one of them. Ask my horses and they will tell you clipping hair from their ears is absolutely the worst!
default_wink.png

Jan

No, it would not be fair to call it cruel, I think maybe people were thinking more of the eyelash removal business when saying cruel, perhaps??

Not a look I wish to see, I have to admit, I show in full coat, and I love the colours.

Clipping Mingus, except as a before show time removal of winter hair (which I also do) would be a crime against nature, IMO
default_wink.png

I think the Mingus Fangirls would have something to say, as well.
default_rolleyes.gif

I use as little goop (clear, never coloured, mainly because I got well fed up with throwing once white shirts away!!) as is possible, and I clip once, at the end of winter.

I razored a mare once, just round the nostrils, but I did not like the look of it.

She could not have cared less, of course, they really don't.

Mind you, clipping show horse is not traditional in Europe, and in a lot of breeds is actually prohibited.

Arabs have to be shown unclipped and with full manes, and I really do much prefer that look, as I came from Arabs I just carried on with the normal, very complicated very time consuming show preparations I did with them.

Anyone who thinks showing a horse in full coat consists of dragging it out of a field into a ring is welcome to come and watch!!

No, really, anytime you have a few weeks to spare......those of you who only have to clip all the hair off to be ready!!!
default_smile.png

Razoring the whole face just looks really weird- who wants a bald horse???

I've only razored a couple of horses.. it depends on the horse. I had one that was brown and if not razored, even clipped down closely, he had the 'mule' look with the light brown around his nose. (His new owner took Reserve Champion Stallion at Nationals a couple of years ago)

I am not against razoring, though I dont do it often, and have never had a horse peel or have any problems with it. They also fell asleep and thought it nice to be fussed with. I also wet them down well with warm water and use cream.... I also don't turn them out in the sun to 'fry' afterwards.... I dont with any clipped horse.

In regards to the goop, I dont like the 'slip and slide' look either, and when they look like a greasy mess that you dont even want to touch or get near.... that's too much!! They dont have to look like their head was dunked in it.

I think Leeana's horses pics showed grooming done very well, without being ridiculous looking or over done. They are lovely... wanna come and do mine??!! LOL

And I will NOT remove eyelashes either!!

Like the look or not, I can't see razoring as cruel. There are many things done to show horses in all breeds that are inhumane, I don't think this is one of them. Ask my horses and they will tell you clipping hair from their ears is absolutely the worst!
default_wink.png
Jan
Ive never had a horse peel after razoring...i razor the night before or that morning. My show horses are inside the barn for the most part..my roundpen is always shady due to all the tree's so i just put them out there for a few hours each day after they have been razored so they can still go out, just are not in my drylot that is always sunny it seems. Mine have hair back in, in less then a week too...so its not a long long process. Peach fuzz back in within 3 days..

Guess i just dont see it as cruel either...i dont mind razoring them and the horses dont mind it either, atleast i have yet to hear any complaints
default_laugh.png
. Its all i can do to keep them from falling asleep in my lap while i razor them...

"Sweating necks, throatlatches, shoulder, bellies all of these things do not sure the true horse. Conditioning tricks to aid in the appearance of having a better hind end, better front end, prettier head or neck do not show the true horse. "

I'm sorry, but do people really believe that the structure of a horse can change by sweating a throatlatch, neck or belly? How can sweating, conditioning and proper feeding... dieting if necessary to help a horse look its best be deceptive or not show the true horse? If you were in a beauty pageant or an athlete performing... wouldn't you want and need to look and be at your best? Actually... by sweating a neck (I'm talking about wraps only... no neck potions) it can help prevent fat from depositing and staying in the neck area which can help prevent a neck crest from falling over. We're not talking liposuction or implants... eye surgery to remove skin to make the eye look bigger or whatever else people may think of doing to their horses.

If there is a "conditioning trick to aid the appearance of having a better hind end" I'd have to say that it probably helped the horse use his incorrect hind end and made him more comfortable.... but I highly doubt that anything will make a bad front end or a bad hind end "look better". It is what it is! If you are you talking about using chains and such... that's movement enhancing with training aids, a form of conditioning I suppose and something different. Enhancements still can't change the structure of the horse to make a better hind or front end... and can only do just what it says... enhance what is already there. If it don't got it... it ain't gonna get it. It may condition it to bring its feet up higher due to different muscle toning and usage, but it still can't change the true 'structure' of the horse.

I know.. I know... don't slap me.. this isn't about goop... but it was brought up.... and I feel its important to view another side of a comment like that so people can make a choice of how they wish to interpret it. I happen to make sweats and wraps and don't particularly want people thinking they are BAD or deceptive to use.

Latest posts

Back