Riding in cars with Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 years ago when my friend and I got our first 2 mini donks they rode in my full size conv. van (much to the dismay of my husband) - I drove and Kari rode "shotgun" hanging onto donks
default_rolleyes.gif
:

prisvan.JPG

As has my little Vernon

heehwa3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hauled several in the back seat of my F-250. Hubby just tookt eh back seat out and BAM we had a mini horse stall. Before I got my truck I had a Yukon and I have hauled several in it also. I like it when I haul them inside with me.....I love totalk to them while we are going down the road..........lol

Well I think we may try a practice run this weekend. Just to see what he thinks. (As a side note, we always have the big trailer if we need it but just looking for something a little more practical
default_wink.png
: ). If it all works out I've already checked into those nice lightweight dog ramps and cage barriers, but no sense in doing all that till I see how it goes. I'm so glad to hear that so many of you have carried your minis in such luxury. How lucky these animals are to have people like us to spoil them rotten. Thanks for all the comments and I will certainly keep you posted! Jodi

All I can say is.........Thank God for Mini Vans!!!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

MA

About a year ago the barn that I used to board my 3 minis in flooded........so my husband loaded 2 of the girls into the trailer to ake home the 3d very little girl would not go into the trailer for him-he couldn't understand why.....well, I always took her in my mustang with me.She rode in the front seat-why waste gas-I took to schools and hospitals.I even have a picture of with santa clause at petsmart.......loved that little girl.

Isn't that why they call them mini-vans???
default_yes.gif
:

I used to perfer traveling with my horses where I could see them. Especially babies!!! We built a stall in the back of our full sized van & used a ramp. We also transported horses as needed in the back on our SUV. Once we brought a foal home in the back seat of our car.

And people say "what can you do with a miniature horse?"
default_wink.png
:

we put our 33" mare in the backseat of our Monte carlo, a filly in the back of a hatchbatch, stallion in the backseat of my husband's new pick up -OK that one wasn't exactly planned.

Great for emergency or quick trips - although the stallion one was 5 hours and not one mess. :aktion033:

default_rolleyes.gif
: So, do you feel that the mini would qualify you to use the HOV lanes??? Assuming you are the only other in the vehicle.............
default_wacko.png
:

I just met a lady tonight that said her dad used to take the back seat out of their volkswagon Bug and take a shetland pony in it!

default_rolleyes.gif
: So, do you feel that the mini would qualify you to use the HOV lanes??? Assuming you are the only other in the vehicle.............
default_wacko.png
:
Do you want to risk getting pulled over and to have to explain to a police officer how having a horse in your car is the safe thing to do? Not me! I'm 90% sure its legal, but I don't want to find out I'm wrong because of a traffic oopsy on my part...

west mini, I want to thank you for posting this question as I have had a great time reading the posts and seeing the pix! :bgrin Now be sure to let us know how your trial run goes and a pix to go with it would be great!
default_yes.gif
:

Mini in a SUV ~ Been there done that :bgrin The gelding in my avatar finally got to the point he would jump up in the back of my suburban. Also to my husband's dismay .

But I finally broke down and got a 2 horse trailer and plan on having it modified for mins. And in light of Laura Tennell's recent accident I'm very glad I don't have to put them in the car anymore.

Well I guess you can see by my avatar what I do with minis~! Yes I have hauled them in cars for the last 10 years, From that Suburban that is in that pic in avatar to this one which is a '67 Chevy Impala... Which BTW I hauled Josh in for 6 years including ALL over the State of AZ.~!

Joshin67Implala.jpg

This picture was printed in the magazine that the company puts out that I use to work for, and did a full page article on me~!!!

JoshinSuburban.jpg

Josh_in_Suburban.jpg

And this mare I hauled like this for 350 miles one way to a rather large show and pulled in the show grounds like this. :bgrin

WaitingForMyMasterCopyright2002SamuelHigley_edited.jpg

And now I have a new mini that I maybe doing the same thing, although I do have a mini trailer I just like going up to the drive Thru windows with horse in the back seat
default_yes.gif
:

The very first mini I sold was a 32" stallion and he went home in the back seat (removed) of an old Ford from CT to MA without a problem.

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png
:
Do you want to risk getting pulled over and to have to explain to a police officer how having a horse in your car is the safe thing to do? Not me! I'm 90% sure its legal, but I don't want to find out I'm wrong because of a traffic oopsy on my part...

It is legal and on officer told me that my mini is much safer than a big dog who isn't contained and is jumping all over the vehicle.

That may vary from state to state. I'm comfortable enough to do it without thinking I'm breaking any laws, but I don't want to sit on the side of the road for the officer to look it up to find out if it is or not. JMHO.

It is legal and on officer told me that my mini is much safer than a big dog who isn't contained and is jumping all over the vehicle.
I even asked a DPS Officer who lived across the street from me if I could haul my horse in my car. And No problem as long as he did not interfere with my driving. This was in AZ. And I hauled all over that State while I lived there 10 years. And in WI. no I have not asked but have been doing so for many years now. I have hauled from WI. through Minn and ALL Over the State of Iowa also. No problem drive right down the Interstate system~! Back Roads, Side streets, Main Streets, Interstate roads, makes no matter to me I have done this for the last 20 years now in several States..

on that '67 Chevy Impala I even Put Truck Mirrors on each side so I would not be pulled over because I couldn't see out the back Window~! No Excuse for an officer then to pull me over :bgrin

Well...here is the weekend update for me and Spirit. Looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a small trailer. I knew but the way my vehicle did in the back it wouldn't work to put him in the very back so we tried to take the back seats out and put him behind the front seats. We had made a ramp so he could just walk right in. Just one problem....the doors would not open far enough to make it a straight shot in. I tried speaking "mini" language and telling him how much he'd love it if he'd just walk in....that soon became a different languange with a few colorful words because he really didn't want any part of it.
default_wacko.png
: Not wanting to force him or freak him out we return him to pasture withDing and Ling (goats) and called it a day. Bless his heart for trying. He walked up there no problem...he just couldn't grasp the concept of walking in because of the door. I even did a visual for him (which was hilarious). I guess I'll start looking around and seeing what I can find. Told hubby I wanted a hitch put on for my b-day. For some stupid reason when I traded in my explorer that had a hitch I didn't think I'd need one on this truck. This was before I was introduced to the wonderful world of minis. Thanks for all the feedback and I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! :saludando:

Latest posts

Back