Scaly hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I had noticed that my new mare's hooves were growing in junky looking. I was a little concerned about it, but I figured different care, plus I had to pull her off grain. I put her on a hoof supplement. But today I noticed my other mare is having the same issue. I've had her for years without this problem. I haven't changed her feed in maybe 2 or 3 years. They both get different hays. And my stallion's feet are the same as they always were. The new mare gets regular work, the other mare does not. Any ideas what I can do to fix it?

Attachments

• hoof.jpg
    hoof.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 0
That is confusing and I will be interested to hear what could be happening. In the meantime, would it be beneficial to wet down the hooves with a hose then coat with thin layer of hoof oil?

On the other hand, if it is some sort of fungus that would probably make things worse. 🤔 Would your vet take a look at some scrapings?

Hmmm, I never even though about fungus, I just assumed it had to be nutritional. I guess the vet will have to wait for when they come out for baby shots next month, I'm going to see what the farrier thinks in a week or so.

Weather, feed, work, ground conditions can all play a role in hoof texture.

I have one this year with rough hoof walls. I'm going to oil them, once I buy some oil for them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the coronet band looks healthy, the hooves aren't splitting and the horse stays sound.

Latest posts

Back