showmanship, how to teach

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas how I can go about teaching my daughter showmanship? I have never shown showmanship. Does anyone have a video for sale to offer this?

I have triend finding another person whom shows but not much luck on anyone helping. Not even if I pay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Traci

does your daughter have experience showing?? I always recommend that kids show in halter and color first then move on to showmanship. The only reason is because there is so much to remember in showmanship and it can get confusing. Some kids if they dont already have exp showing a horse will get very frustrated with showmanship.

Remember that in showmanship the HANDLER is the one being judged. She cannot touch the horse for the entire time she is showing it so she has to have a horse that is pretty well trained. Big things in showmanship are presentation of the horse and handler. Handler has to have hat, gloves nice jacket dress pants etc. HOrse has to be meticulously clean. Posture is very important and she should be soldier straight at all times. Feet together etc.

where do you guys live?

hey i just saw you live in illinois. there will be a clinic in watseka illinois on feb 19th. if you guys can go i know a girl that will be there that is suberp in showmanship and could show your daughter the ropes
default_smile.png

Kay

Last edited:
Showmanship with the minis is exactly the same as with full size horses (cept the horse is smaller
default_yes.gif
: ) There are several full size trainers that do showmanship in Illinois - Morrison Training Centre, Hidden Hollow, etc. Try contacting some of them for lessons. Google search for more possibilities.

Try contacting 4H in your area as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou. She has shown the last 2 years in halter and has done very well. Watseka isn't possible this year so mayb next year.

Thanks Kay Kay

I noticed you moved to Ohio. I am originally from Boardman, OH. Hope you are loving it there. Illinois is much different than Ohio in my experience.

Traci

Traci, I taught our eight year old dressage tests using a board and her "My Little Pony" dolls, (Which I LATHED but she did not like Breyer!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

To learn the basic patterns of each class just make up fairly large boards with each pattern clearly marked in dotted lines and leave her to play with it with a Breyer model (By choice!!)

Obviously start with you there to help but the Dressage thing quickly became a game she played on her own, to the point where, in spite of my being allowed to stand at the ring side and "call" the Test for her she told me quite clearly (and very loudly!!) NOT to as I did not know my right from my left and I would only confuse her!! She never put a foot wrong, either.

She had practised in the field with the pony, as well, but the game is something you can do in any weather and in the evenings, nice and snug indoors!!

I just hated showmanship when I started out. It got so bad that at one point when practicing with my little gelding I said FORGET IT (read: !#$%^&*&^%$#!) and huffed off mumbling something about never doing it again.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Nobody tried to stop me and that was just as frustrating to me at the time so I eventually started practicing by myself at home in secret. I found it was actually easier for me getting that military style walk and jog down (breathe... back straight... heel to toe...) without a horse and the pressure of a "judge" (trainer) with me at first. Then there's remembering to really SMILE and look ahead at the judge, only glancing down at your horse every now and then to be sure he's on cue. Don't forget keeping your left arm crook'd smartly just at your left hip with the excess lead held neatly. On your return back to lineup you add glancing first at your horse then back over your shoulder at the judge to be sure you are heading back to lineup properly. None of your routine should be rushed.

Having a horse that can STOP SQUARE either naturally or by training and STAND is essential for the beginner, IMO. So is a horse who will pivot and change gaits from a walk to whoa to a trot and back down to a walk again (etc.) without obvious cues from his handler. Both the horse and handler need to be able to track straight together. The handler needs to be able to keep her hands steady and lead positioned correctly at all times. All of this can be practiced at home along a fenceline (I do it leading the horse from both sides) again and again and again, day after day until it is CRISP. Once it feels good, move away from the fenceline and practice working back and forth to a stationary object in the middle of your arena. Also practice heading back into lineup to the same place you left by finding a stationary mark that will stay BEHIND YOU upon entering the ring for when you go up to present to the judge. This will also help you to head back into lineup straight.

I found it was important to make my practices fun, but serious. If you giggle at home you're more than likely going to giggle in the ring. When working with a "judge" at home, the exhibitor should not speak unless spoken to. A judge should say, "Good day" and maybe throw out a horsey question from time to time once the exhibitor has stood up her horse and signals with a polite nod she is ready. You're most likely going to have a time learning the quarter and half systems, but practice makes perfect. The exhibitor's movement around the horse should be smooth. Some judges will move faster than others and some will even hesitate just when you think it's time to change sides. When it is time, the exhibitor should sidestep confidently from one side of the horse to the other in one sweeping motion instead of taking one or several goofy steps sideways.

Confused yet? Don't worry, it does eventually all come together. My opinion now is that Showmanship is a great class and lots of fun. It's also basic as well as essential IMO and will help an exhibitor perform 100% better in ALL other classes from Halter to Driving.
default_yes.gif
:

Does anyone have any ideas how I can go about teaching my daughter showmanship? I have never shown showmanship. Does anyone have a video for sale to offer this?

I have triend finding another person whom shows but not much luck on anyone helping. Not even if I pay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Traci
This may not work if you don't have a fast computer but give it a try. Go this site and select the showmanship. You need the software that allows you to watch video like "real media".

http://animalscience.unl.edu/horse/2002%20HA%20videos.htm

I used to do showmanship quite successfully. I had the horse that could stop square, pivot on a dime and stand like a rock, all without a sound or signal from me. He just knew what to do.

Then they changed to the quarter system from the half system. Watching a fat old man dance back and forth as a judge speeds around the horse is not a pretty sight, nor do I believe proper. So, I quit.

default_smile.png

My 8 and 10 year old kids show in showmanship but when I tried to work with them they just got frustrated.

The best thing that I did when we were starting out was to find someone ELSE show them what to do so they could practice on their own. You probably know what I mean....it is ok for someone else to correct and critique them, but when mom does it, they get upset and it usually didn't end well. We would all wind up frustrated.

They do it at every show but still really need to work on what they are doing and hopefully will be better this year. Envypoodles gave some great advice that I will use with the kids.

"I used to do showmanship quite successfully. ... Then they changed to the quarter system from the half system. Watching a fat old man dance back and forth as a judge speeds around the horse is not a pretty sight, nor do I believe proper. So, I quit."

Hm. Well, Al... did you ever think maybe that's why they changed to the quarter system to begin with?! :new_shocked: :lol: Okay, I'm running for cover now... :flirt:

Latest posts

Back