allowing your horse to give kisses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Kennedy

Reaction score
I have a question just out of curiosity, because someone at the barn I go to told me many people do this... Are there a lot of people who allow their horse to give them kisses, like I have in the included picture? All the horses I interact with get regular vet, deworming, dental, and farrier checkups. And are there any bacteria or viruses that horses could accidentally transmit to people?

Attachments

• horsekiss.jpg
    horsekiss.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes, of course. There is a handful of things you can catch from seemingly healthy horses, as well as some you would notice. I'm familiar with ringworm being contagious, but it seems rain rot is also. Rabies, staph, salmonellosis, lestospirosis, and a handful of things that cause stomach upset. They also eat with their faces on the ground, so you are essentially kissing whatever dirt, manure, and bacteria they may have been snuffling off the ground. I don't allow my horses to "kiss" me because it doesn't seem like a good idea. They can't see well up close so they could bang you in the head accidentally. You can't see them from there, so they could be irritated and bang you or nip you on purpose. Other people seem to think that is the closest form of bonding you can get with your horse. I don't think there is any real risk of diseases any more than you would get from handling the horse. Basic handling and grooming puts you in close contact, and all that dust and hair that flies up gets in your mouth and nose anyway.

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if the stomach upset I have is from horses, or if its from food poisoning from something I ate. Last week one of my facebook friends mentioned that I may have a parasite because I wasn't feeling good... well, three months ago in early June or late May was when one of the horses I use for lessons unexpectedly gave me kisses. Then on June 7th, another person's horse did the same, mostly because I was curious to see if his horse gave kisses. Both farm owners keep their horses healthy with vet, deworming, farrier and dental--as you should... On June 22nd during that 104-degrees day in Pennsylvania, I was out in the heat for four or five hours and I had to leave early because I felt faint. After getting in the air-conditioned car and drinking gatorade I felt better. sometime in early July after eating a big meal at the bar and drinking a glass of their wine about two hours later I felt bad. The next day I just rested and whatever I ate I threw up. I got better. Then the same thing happened a few weeks later. At the lesson barn picnick, where food was outside, I ate a bunch of different kinds of food, everything from cheese, to mac and cheese to roast pork and raman noodle salad. Immediately I drank a mountain-dew-soda followed by a whole bottle of water--skipped supper due to the late lunch, had a medium glass of wine, and threw up. Got better. A few weeks later, ate food and drank at the bar, same thing, felt bad, vomiting, two days go bye--feel better. My son brought home some plant-based veggie-burgers from a food drive that he got from a friend. I made them and thought they tasted quite bad so I threw the rest away. With some of the incidents I had temporary diareah... Two days later I ate at the bar--felt bad, vomited, fatigue, rested a day or so. felt better. I have no fever and no pain at all. Do you think its most likely food poisoning, or could I be getting something from horses? Other people I talked to said many of them are close with their horses as far as letting the horse give kisses and letting horses lick your face like people do with dogs, like in the picture-- and they seem just fine. And I'm sure the lesson barn owner and others would say something if allowing horses to give kisses is dangerous to people's health. I've always been a perfectly healthy person. I haven't been sick in several years. The last time may have been when I got shingles in 2016 or so.

I think it's going to be impossible to tell. It's not common to catch anything from horses, but I think a lot of that depends on your immune system. Dogs are going to carry the same things as horses, and probably a few others. Millions of people let their dogs lick their faces and never get sick. Or if they do, they don't realize it's from the dog.
Food poisoning is also possible. And seems to be more likely since it's been after eating. There are also a ton of gastro issues that are possible. You might be better off talking to your Dr, and letting them know you handle livestock. But in my experience stomach issues are almost impossible to solve. You may never know. But I hope you are feeling better soon.

well, I will find out this Monday, because that is when I scheduled my doctor appointment to find out what is going on with me. I hope its some sort of food sensitivity issue. I just have to keep handling horses and having lessons--and besides, Holly is working on training Eddie for me as a guide horse. Holly thinks Eddie will work out very well. She said he is very smart. In case you're interested, here is the facebook page for me and Holly's new guide horse training organization... and a picture of Eddie.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61565677432929&mibextid=ZbWKwL

Attachments

• eddie.JPG
    eddie.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 0
  • eddie2.jpg
    eddie2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Even if it did come from a horse, I would think it's not too likely to happen every time you handle them. Maybe avoid kisses in the future. A lot of people seem to be having food issues lately. Lots of speculation about the cause, but they seem to get some relief from following assorted super strict diets. I'm glad he seems to be working out, he's a very handsome guy.

I think with me, its more likely food issues. Because if it were something from horses, then I would probably become unwell a few hours or a day or so after handling horses, which hasn't happened.

I've caught the dreaded ringworm from my mini. He had it when I purchased him on his tail bone and I thought it was bug bites so I wasn't careful. I also gave same mini what was probably a corona virus aka covid in Dec 19 right before the breakout. My husband worked with someone who was on a cruise with sick Chinese nationals, she spread it to everyone and it was classic covid symptoms. I got very sick and made the unfortunate decision to "blow" in my ponies nose like some people to for bonding, as soon as I did it I remember saying to my hubs, "oh @$&%! I shouldn't have done that what if I give it to him" hubs thought I was nuts but sure enough, 4 days later mini was very sick. Vet said at the time it was "probably a corona virus and I may have exposed him." After the pandemic was well underway I read an article that pets indeed could get covid.
So we can pass bugs back and forth with our minis/horses. I don't worry about it too much though. And I do give kisses all the time (only to the horses though;))
Hope you feel better!

Latest posts

Back