Forelock falling out!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
My new mini is losing her forelock! I was messing with her today and noticed her forelock is coming out by the handfuls! It is much thinner than it was a month or two ago. Her mane seems to be fine. I ran my fingers through it and a few hairs came out, but it didn't seem excessive. Her diet consists of alfalfa hay and small amount of beet pulp with a little bran and handful of Safechoice. She also gets Nu-image coat conditioner and MSM. She seems all right otherwise. Shiney coat, good appitite, etc. She has been on alfalfa for the last few years as that is really all we can get around here. I knew her when she was with the people I bought her from (her former owner is my trainer) and her diet was very similar. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could try putting baby oil jell in the forelock and pull it off to the side and tuck it under the halter side? I put baby oil jell in there forelocks from time to time and tuck it under for a day or so to keep it on one side naturally ...maybe that would help?

Also, i never brush a dirty tail unless its after a bath, i run a soft bristle brush over it daily but i never actually brush a dirty tail. Maybe you could try the same with the forelock? I wouldnt brush it all the time to keep volume in it.

Just some tips ..i cant help much as to why its falling out but that might help
default_smile.png

Hair loss can occur for any number of reasons. One thing I did want to mention, however, is hair loss from nutritional deficiencies. Selenium, both an undersupply AND an overabundance can cause hair loss. It shows up primarily in the forelock, mane and tail at first. This may NOT be your problem as the hair loss seems to be only occurring in the forelock, but I wouldn't rule it out. Your horse's diet does seem to be lacking any major source of minerals since she is only getting a small amount of a commercial feed. Beet pulp and bran are not major sources for minerals.

Depending on where you live and where your hay is coming from, your mini's diet may be selenium deficient. If you live in a selenium deficient area of the country (in terms of grazing) AND/OR your hay comes from a selenium-deficient area (most areas are selenium deficient), you would want to supplement her diet regardless of whether the hair loss is related to her nutritional status.

No need to change her diet radically, but you can improve the nutrient/mineral level in her current diet by adding a good vitamin mineral supplement that contains selenium, and feeding that supplement according to manufacturer's instructions for your mini's weight.

Robin C

I had the same thing a couple of years ago! It was a mystery! Turned out she was catching her forelock on the snap that holds her feed bucket! Her hair just came out in wads. She ended up with just a few hairs, but it's finally grown back.

Charlotte

We have a gelding that every year about this time when it is really hot and he will start rubbing it on the tree bark! :eek: I don't know if it is sweaty and itchy..... or what? I have kept it braided and kind of up off his face this year hoping he wouldn't rub....he did anyway. Gave a bath today to clip for a show next weekend, he has lost about half of his forlock.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sorry no help here, just misery loving company :bgrin

I may have figured it out. We have no climb horse fence on our pens that is raised up about 6 inches so they can't walk it down. She has been sticking her head under there to reach the grass that is growing around the flower beds outside her pen. I am amazed at how far she has reached as evidenced by the grazed grass. I don't however see any hair stuck on the fence. I wonder if she is rubbing it and damaging it so it falls out? So we are putting railroad ties along the outside so she can no longer do that. I still am going to talk to my vet tomorrow to see what they think. If anything we could have too much selenium in our area. We have never had a problem but being smaller she might react differently than the big guys.

Her forelock was so cute too! Long and fluffy with her little ears peeking out! Sigh. Hopefully it will grow back fast.

Latest posts

Back