Crossing your path in hunter/jumper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
In listening to conversations I have come to realize that there are many different views of this rule. I am trying to come up with an easy way to explain this to people, especially youth, the very young dont understand exceptions. I read the rule this morning and re read the rule and I have to admit, it is a bit confusing and I wish they had a diagram. So, give me your interpretations...

1) What is crossing your path?

2) When is it a fault and when is it not a fault?

3) What do you consider the correct reapproach to a refused jump?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is one of the most misunderstood rules ever and everyone including judges seem to have a different idea of what that means

Crossing your path refers to making a circle in between jumps if you did NOT refuse. i.e. if you're just going along from one jump to the next and either forget your pattern so that by the time you remember you're going the wrong way you have to cross your path to get back on course, or if for some strange reason you decide to make a circle in between jumps. This is what will get you disqualified.

If your horse refuses a jump then the crossing your path rule does not apply any more - but for that jump only. Once your horse refuses, you are free to circle back around to an acceptable distance from the jump and try again and you won't be disqualified for that.

If I have a green horse in hunter that refuses, what I will do is loop back around to a far enough distance away to try again while coming at the jump straight. I have seen people simply back up, but you do not have to do that at all - looping around is just fine and you don't have to worry at all about the 'crossing your path' rule, because it doesn't apply to refusals.

Kim, this is how I understand the rule as well and have always taught it. Your explanation is simply worded and I like it.

However, recent statements I have heard have made me start to doubt my understanding of the rule so that is why I wanted to get a consenus of what everybody else thought.

Thank you for your answers.

I am hoping that maybe some judges and stewards will chime in as well.

No problem, Annette. In my many years of showing at all levels, I have occasionally seen the odd judge at a local show who doesn't know the rules in general very well, including hunter/jumper rules - maybe this is how you started hearing conflicting interpretations?

In my experience, whenever the 'crossing your path' rule is at issue (which is not often at all!), I have always seen the rule interpreted this way. (Unless of course the judge doesn't know the rulebook, but then you have bigger problems than simply the 'crossing your path' rule!)

All well-known (and with only one or two exceptions, all lesser known) judges that I have shown under have always interpreted the rule this way, and certainly at Regionals (when AMHA had them)/Championships/Nationals/Worlds, the hunter and jumper classes have always been judged using this interpretation. In practicality, I've never seen this rule become an issue unless someone forgets their pattern and accidentally crosses their path to get back in line for the next jump.

Your right, it is not a common "fault". But for something that is not a common fault, it certainly has a lot of confusion surrounding it. I think because of the confusion it is a fear that everyone has because they are not sure what it is.

I think every student I have ever given a lesson to in jumping has asked the question. Most think that they cannot ever cross their path and will go to great lengths, including backing their horse 30 feet, to avoid it.

I think the only time I have ever seen someone get faulted for it is when they have forgotten the pattern, realized it and not been able to get to the correct jump without crossing their path. It could probably be done but once you realize you have made the mistake all rationale goes out the window. However, faults for crossing your path is better than being DQ'd for going off course.

The other time I have seen it is when the person has to circle the horse to get them under control if the horse gets too far ahead of them.

Latest posts

Back