Mare ready to foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our friendly mammoth is happily munching away!

We want photos!!!!!!
wink.gif

what do you think? is it a better picture now?? she is SOOO relaxed behind! I went out there just before and lifted the tail, and with one finger could look inside, usually its tighter then that, and she just did two wees in the space of ten minutes!!
default_blush.png
trying to get the pics on here, hopefully get them on here before mum n i leave, we are going to visit a friend in hospital tonight poor thing has to stay in hospital for the last 7 weeks of her pregnancy
default_sad.png

uploading pics now
default_rolleyes.gif

The picture is great! I too had to stay in hospital for my first son and it was a real drag but tell your friend that it will all be worth it and to try and relax and enjoy the peace.
wink.gif
In hospital is the best place to be if she is at risk. sending hugs and prayers
pray.gif

p.s I took these just as she came back inside I should have waited till after cos when I checked her just then she has relaxed so much more behind... I might take some more truer pics of her tomorrow... she has some milk again tonight can't see them very good in the pics, but her bag is definetly fuller tonight

Great to see her enjoying a zoom about outside - thanks for the pictures.
default_aktion033.gif

I agree with Renee, she doesn't look quite ready to foal, but as we all know, these girls just love to fool us. LOL!!

May I ask why you have a headcollar on her all the time (think I can just see it on the cam when she's in, but maybe mistaken) I notice Dreamer and Sugar also wear theirs when inside, as do a lot of other mare waiting to foal? Can understand headcollars on outside if a mare is difficult to catch, but wondering about the reason for inside wear.

Anna

Hi Anna, the main reason was because she had the foal alarm on, and that connects to her halter... I have that off now... had her halter on today as she went out in the big paddock and its easier to catch her,

yeah, and it makes it hard because I don't know any of her history AT ALL!!!!
default_sad.png
the previous owner couldn't tell me much at all about her changes, so i don't know if she lengthens at all behind or not much... but from what I saw and felt tonight. after taking this pics and she had settled down, she was so much more relaxed in the opening... easiest it has been since I have had her to check the inside... i guess its just another step lol

but I shouldn't be getting worried because I saw the foal moving and you are all keeping an eye on her, just hoping that she will have this foal real soon so I can meet her/him!
default_wub.png

will take some more pics over the weekend.

My friend, is doing ok, baby is good so thats the main thing. But yeah no leaving the hospital for her, poor thing.

well I'm off to bed now everyone thanks for the night shift prob nothing will happen tonight but it's easier knowing your there watching her
default_saludando.gif

hopefully cam won't go down tonight... it's plugged into the power so batteries won't run out LOL.

Let me know if she surprises us
default_laugh.png
would love her to hehe
default_wink.png

Shes laying down but has her butt to the camera and I cant tell if shes sleeping or just resting.

Cassie, she looks so comfy in her little bed of straw. It makes me want to put straw in Peanuts stall....IM just to lazy...for me straw is harder to keep clean....but I love how fluffy it looks.

o.K. Just a nosey question for ya. You mentioned cows in a couple of your posts. Is your family in the cattle business or does your Dad just raise a few for yourselves. What kind of cows?

Straw for horses is like a feather duvet for us, only for the rich so Heidi you should have loadssssssssssssssssssssss

Come on Suzie, now is about a good time to show us your baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go out as Hubby wants to eat a pizza
new_shocked.gif
Is someone watching her as I can't get her cam to work on my iphone
no.gif

Thanks guys, I'll ask her previous owner for her number... he is a bit untrustworthy... I hope he hasn't been lying to me about this the whole time...

Thanks for watching, I think I was so sound asleep I didn't even hear my three!! alarms go off to wake up n check on her, so thank you all VERY MUCH!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Straw is actually pretty easy, I have heard its the best to put in a foaling stable, as shavings can go into the foals respiratoty system and pnemonia and such, also can get on the umbelical cord and the foal can get infected through that...

our cattle is sort of a side business from our hardware store... we have a bit of a mix, murray grey, limousin, black angus (just got a Beautiful new bull) and my one fresian steer that I hand raised hehe

we have atm about 80 head of cattle. in total I have hand raised 3 calves, two heifers and Buddy my steer LOL. Kia is a pure bred limousin and she just had her own calf a beautiful bull I called Samson and when one of our cows died giving birthI hand raused the calf jessie she is a murray grey. she is due to have her first calf in a few months.

lol sorry to go on a bit I love our cows hehe.

Thanks all for watching again last night
default_yes.gif

I'm just wondering, do you think that I should have a camera watching her during the day out in the paddock? is it common for them to foal during the day?

Thanks again all.
default_biggrin.png

Suzie looks as though she is waiting for her breakfast?? She's in her "Mummy's coming soon" corner!

After our experience this morning - yes mares can and do foal during the day!

I love hearing about your cows Cassie, I used to milk cows and rear calves etc and loved every one of them - fantastic creatures.
default_yes.gif

We always use straw for our foaling mares - and most of our other minis too. I love to see horses in large stalls/stables with loads of straw on the floor. We also straw deeply in our lorry when travelling, I absolutely detest leaving the lorry floor as just rubber matting, the horses slip so once the floor gets wet or poo'd on. Even those that have shavings when travelling (all ours travel in separate compartments, loose) have at least 6" depth of shavings down in their compartments!

I also find straw much easier to clean out coz I'm a fussy one, and I wont allow any tiny piece of dropping to be found in one of my stables after mucking out time. Takes hours to find every little piece in a shaving bed, but easy in a nice big straw bed! We also have a rule that during the day time, droppings were cleared as soon as they were produced, so one pile of droppings in a stable is allowed - if you are grooming/exercising etc, but two piles is frowned on coz it means you haven't checked that horse for at least 2 or 3 hours (you would have picked up any droppings as you checked the horse) and that horse could have developed colic/got cast etc. And 3 piles of droppings mean't being instantly dismissed from my yard/employ (and when I was training students, quite a few got dismissed!) Counting the piles of droppings as I walked round helped me to know whether or not the horse had been checked - I was a horror to work for LOL!!

So is tonight the night with Suzie? Keeping my fingers crossed!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Latest posts

Back