Robin's Pregnancy Thread MAIDEN :) *Filly! 1-7-13* *New Photos #831*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I am assuming that the foal could just be in position and not have much space for movement. Yesterday was the first time that I have felt movement at all through out this entire thing, so I guess I just got nervous. I am continuing to watch her closely though
default_smile.png

Udder has deflated again
default_sad.png
I also tried to get some milk...nothing came out. Should I worry about that? Don't some not produce until they foal?

Have you watched anything on red bag births? I can round up a youtube link for you just in case, I rewatch it before the foaling season along with a bunch of others.

I wouldn't worry about milk production as milk can be brought in or come in naturally right at foaling time.

Not to go "off topic" but do you have fescue in your grass or hay? We don't have it here in Florida, and I may be off-base, but just wondering. Sometimes fescue grass can cause a reduction in the milk production along with other type of "problems" and I'm just wondering. I think your vet would know and would have said something to you, as mares eating fescue are usually pulled off the fescue the last 3 months of pregnancy. So, it's probably not a problem there.

See, all us Aunties are watching like nervous mommas too -- as I know she's reaching the 365 day mark of the 1st stallion leaving. These mares certainly do make us all a bit crazy!!!!!
The hay that she is getting is from South Dakota. Here is a photo. I called my hay guy and he didn't know
default_sad.png
Now I am paranoid about that too. Anyone know what it looks like? Any tell tale way to tell?

BTW, she is actually now at 367 days from the first stallion leaving.

IMG_2039.JPG

I have watched videos and researched Redbag deliveries too. My foaling kit includes some scissors, towels, iodine, etc.

Okay, so I have looked up stuff on Fescue and it is apparently hard to tell once it is dry, but from the photos, it appears as though I have been feeding some
default_sad.png
There is nothing else that I can give her until monday, other than alfalfa cubes, so that is what I am doing. It is not ideal, but I would guess it is better than fescue? I will see about that domperidone on Monday, when I get my vet.

Well, this is just the best timing ever for all of this to happen...I will get some Chaffhaye on Monday as well, to make sure that she is not getting anymore fescue.

I have got to be the worst pony owner ever
default_sad.png
I feel like such a failure with all of this...

You're not at all. Robin is a BEAUTIFUL little girl, she looks healthy as a horse (
default_new_rofl.gif
), and quite happy too. Other than the fact that she was apparently bred by a roaming hippo (kidding, lol), I can't think of anything you have done even a little bit wrong. I wish all horses were lucky enough to have an owner who cares so much.

Well thank you
default_smile.png
But, really, I should have checked on the fescue thing when I first found out that she was preggo...this could have easily been prevented. And I really should have had a backup fund set aside for this kind of incident. I just hope she holds off until after Monday now...

Sooooo, here is my newest thought. I sat and watched robin tonight for about 30 minutes or so. There was a loose-ish poop and a patty out there that were starting to dry up, so they had been there for a bit, but were new in the past hour or 2. Then she pooped again...loose-ish. Here is where the funny thing came into my head. As I watched (this might get gross, lol), she pooped and then the liquidy stuff dribbled out...straight down the outside of her vulva. It was the color of the "discharge" that I saw yesterday that indicated possible placentitis. Could what I saw have just been a dried crust from an earlier poop, I wonder? Either way, I will still finish the antibiotics, but it does kind of make me feel a little better, if that makes sense. I still have the issue of the possible fescue in the hay...I wish that I could run to the darn store and pick up some colostrum and milk replacer right now, but I don't think that the colostrum can be bought at a feed store...only a vet, right?

Anyway, she inhaled her alfalfa cubes this evening. She will get that again tomorrow morning and night and then on monday morning, I will run to the feed store down the road and get some chaffhaye for her, and while I am there I will speak with my vet and pick up anything that I may need and see if she can come out. She is still acting normal, and appears to feel fine. Hang on till Monday, little girl! You can do it ;)

Pics from this evening. You can see the vulva photo where the drip from her behind is the same color as the discharge from yesterday.

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

I absolutely agree with what the others have said - you are one of the most caring Mommas here in the Maternity Unit and Robin is a very lucky girl to have all your care and attention.
default_yes.gif

We all get worried and nervous as our girls approach foaling, imagining all sorts of things being/going wrong, but thankfully our wonderful mares just carry on with their steady and serene progress until the time is right for their little ones to be born. Are you still taking Robin out for 'walkies' to find some grass for her to graze - plus plenty of walking exercise is just the very best thing possible for mares at this late stage of pregnancy if you can spare the time.

Good luck with your vet tomorrow, I'm sure she will be able to re-assure you and it will be very comforting for you to have someone knowledgable to talk to on the spot, and to be there to help you through Robin's foaling.
default_yes.gif

Thank you so much guys...I really appreciate it. Yesterday was kind of a bad day. I was really worrying myself.

This morning, I felt baby move again! That in itself made me feel better about everything. The location of the movement was pretty odd though. Tell me if you think this means that the baby is lining up for exit...It was almost back IN her hip. Here is a pic of the area. See the line of hair that goes the opposite direction? It was just to the left of that...about midways up.

IMG_2083.jpg

Robins udder has come back! I didn't try to get any milk this am, so as not to tick the little lady off too badly, lol. I may try a little later though...

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

I have not been taking robin for walks, as I wasn't sure if too much exercise was good or not, but now that I know, we will surely take a daily walk
default_smile.png
Every time that I have let the little lady out to graze, she goes straight for the pile of hay, lol, so I quit letting her out. When I take her for a walk today, I will hand graze her.

Thanks again for all of the support, advice, information, etc! You guys are the best
default_smile.png

So, here is the reply from my SIL
default_smile.png
I am just posting this as more information for you guys...

Hey there,

Yes that is true (higher occurrence of septicemia in the foal, with placentitis). Not always the case, but it can happen. I would actually have the vet come out after she foals for several reasons...

If she passes the placenta before the vet gets there, keep it in a bucket so she can examine it for signs of placentitis & to make sure she passed the whole thing. Retained placenta can cause other problems & can even make her founder. Basically, if she hasn't passed it within 3 hours after parturition, the vet will need to intervene. (Oh and make sure you put that bucket where the dogs cannot reach it!) Don't pull on it though. The best way to encourage her to expel it is to tie a water bottle (with water in it) to the part hanging out & let it dangle.

The foal may need to be on antibiotics the first few days after in the case that Robin did have placentitis. He/she may need penicillin & gentamicin, but the foal should be assessed first, in case he/she is dehydrated, and also to check if it's a dummy, or has failure of passive transfer (FPT), etc...

Also, do you have any clorhexadine solution to dip the navel? I wouldn't use povidone, because it doesn't adequately disinfect. Robin & the foal will need a tetanus (antitoxin) & actually it would have been ideal to vaccinate her a month before she foaled, but it might be too late for that.

As for the mammary issue (deflation of one side of her udder), there are a few possibilities... She could have leaked milk/colostrum from that side, but hopefully not. If she leaks colostrum before parturition, that can lead to FPT... Or, there could be swelling/edema on the other mammary, so that side just looks deflated...

If you're there for delivery, try to make sure the foal comes out in the right position: hoof/nose/hoof is usually what you'll see first (or 2 hooves & then the nose). If the 2nd hoof isn't seen or felt just past the nose, it might be stuck behind & she might need assistance. Some times you even have to shove the foal back in a good bit to get the other leg out, in which case it helps to lift the mare's butt up in the air. Since she's so little, that'll probably be possible without sedation & a tractor. I'm sure hubby could help with that. Keep some vasoline handy in case you have to go reaching in there; lubrication usually helps. If you do need sedation, use xylazine, not acepromazine.

Not trying to make you panic. Just making sure you're informed. But I do think it'd be a good idea for the vet to come out after she foals, or even during foaling if possible, since minis are notorious for dystocia & this is her first foal.

Happy foaling!

Lots of mushy poops today bit I am assuming that is from the extra alfalfa in her diet?

Thanks for posting the reply from your SIL - great advice, but there are just two things I would 'question'. I would not attach anything to to the placenta, I would just leave it hanging or tie a knot in it if it is trailing behind her (not easy tying a knot in something so slippery LOL!!), plus some mares do take longer than 3 hours to clear the placenta, whereas some clear it very soon after foaling. Secondly, if you happen to find that you only have one leg and a nose, then immediately get the mare to her feet - this tends to make the coming foal slip back inside the mare a short distance (plus it often makes the mare pause in her contractions) then it is mostly possible to push the foal further back and to reach inside (get your vet to leave you some vet lube on Monday, rather than count on vaselene) to get the 'lost' leg forward. But anyway I would not be trying to lift a mare's back end with a tractor (vet knowledge would be needed to know where to put the straps!). If you feel there is a problem with a leg back, then get the mare up, get someone to immediately phone the vet, and walk the mare around to try to keep her from too much determined 'pushing'. If you are trying to straighten the foal yourself, it can help to stand the mare with her back end on an incline (higher than her front end), but really the most important thing is to try to keep the foal inside the mare until the vet arrives!

Your foal movement is spot on in my opinion - sounds as though the foal is in position!! It will be a back hoof that you saw up in front of her hip - now it's little 'botty' just needs to slip down a bit lower in her tummy and we are ALL GOOD TO GO!!
default_thumbup.gif

Thanks! I think that when she mentioned the tractor, she meant that because robin is so small, I shouldn't need a tractor to lift her up. Her thought was hubby could help to lift her back end, but he isn't going to be home for about 2 weeks anyway. We have plenty of hills on the property should I need her booty a little higher up
default_smile.png

Good to know that the movement is in a good spot!

Here is my girl while she was grazing
default_smile.png
Barry White was keeping a close watch. He seems to be more protective over her and Dakota...I think because they are contained, maybe?? It is cute though
default_smile.png
He will lay right outside of the corral or the backyard and just sleep there.

578563_10151045980890382_1057465460_n.jpg

Sorry you've had a rough time of it
default_sad.png
This last stage can get really hard as you've worked out, it's like the release something into the air to trigger our paranoia. Now excuse me while I go back out and continue guarding Beauty from alien abductions... it's the only possible explanation for her recent behaviour
default_wink.png

It certainly was a beautiful day today
default_smile.png

Robin has been driving me quite batty lately, lol. Here are pics from this evening...

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Latest posts

Back