Robin's Pregnancy Thread MAIDEN :) *Filly! 1-7-13* *New Photos #831*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, I shouldn't have said anything
default_frusty.gif

She looks so very cute lying there - whatever else she's getting up to!
default_hypocrite.gif

Okay...so here is the deal. Before I start a recount of this morning's events, I will start with this. Hubby and I just had a serious discussion about finances yesterday, as we are having some issues with over spending (both of us, lol). Anyway, we will be EXTREMELY tight until next Friday when hubby gets paid. As in, I am not allowed to leave the house until then...it is that bad. Anyway, it is temporary, but it is very bad timing apparently...

This morning, I sat in bed watching Robin look very uncomfortable...lots of pacing, lots of glaring at her belly, etc. When I went out to feed and take photos of her, I noticed a dark discharge
default_sad.png
I immediately remembered the thread on here about placentitis...I called my vet, whom is apparently on a hunting trip. The only reason I was able to consider calling her was because she is very good about letting me pay when I can. So...no go with my normal vet. I sent a photo of the discharge to my SIL (vet). She said that it was not normal and that it could be placentitis and I should probably get her on some antibiotics. Well, luckily, we keep some on hand. I told her what kind we had and she said that was fine and told me the dosage. So I am giving her antibiotics 2x a day for now. My vet will be back on Monday...at which time, I will call her and get her out here to give Robin a lookover. I asked SIL if she would be okay till then, and she said as long as it hasn't been going on long, she should be fine. I have been checking her very closely, as you all know, and this is the first that I have seen, so I think that I caught it early. She did say to be on the look out for red bag, should she foal before then, which I had planned on doing anyway ;) Anyway, she eased my mind on it big time. If you guys could tell me about your experience with placentitis this close to foaling, it would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch. And thank you in advance for not judging me on waiting until monday. I know that it is not ideal, but at this point, I am doing the absolute best that I can. What crappy timing.

Btw, she is now peacefully eating her hay. Not a care in the world...

Pics...including one of the discharge for educational purposes.

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

I remembered that we have some Uniprim that I will start using tonight instead of the injectible. I really don't like her losing her trust in me at this point. I have not seen anymore discharge and she appears to be acting pretty normal. I am having my own, private marestare right here from my living room window. LOL.

Me too. SIL assured me that as long as I caught it early and got her on antibiotics, that there wasn't much else that I could do at this point. Told me to still have the vet out on Monday and that she should be just fine until then. So, that is my plan.

I've not had experience of this, but feel sure that as Robin seems fine in herself, you are doing the rght thing. Anyway it is always better to have your regular vet out to check on things rather than 'any' vet, unless, of course it is an emergency.

Wishing you and Robin good luck - will be saying few prayers for you over the weekend.

Thank you Anna. She really is acting pretty darn normal. I think that if things were very bad with the infection, her behavior would be off in some way.

After some bribing with an alfalfa cube, Robin is my buddy again, lol. Here are a few pics from a few minutes ago...her bag is changing...

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

Is that your house right there? Poor girl, she's going to feel like there's no gravity when this baby finally comes out lol

Lol, so true. Yep, that is our house. That window that is always in the background is my bedroom window. I have very easy access to check her through out the night, which is why I like her back there
default_smile.png

I think you are doing the right thing. Here is my experience with Placentitis. My mare started to bag up at 5 months pregnant. She was put on 1 full scoop of Uniprim once a day to treat the infection, and also on 2.5ccs of Regumate once per day to keep her from foaling since the foal would have no chance of survival at that stage of the pregnancy. Because Robin is due at any time I am not sure that a vet would even bother with the hormone therapy right now. So I am guessing that what you are doing for her is probably all that your vet would be doing anyway. I too would be very watchful for possible red bag as maybe the SIL is thinking that the discharge is due to separation happening now... My fingers are crossed for a quick uneventful birthing with a very happy ending!

Generally with discharge it is more the duration then the existence that can be a warning sign, sounds like your on the ball though
default_smile.png

Thank you so much guys! You are making me feel so much better
default_smile.png
She had the shot of penicillin this am, which was supposed to be a 2x per day shot, so this evening, I started her on 2/3 of a scoop of Uniprim. I was just going by the dosage on the container and a guessed weight of approximately 300lb, which was what SIL went by this AM with the shot.

The resistance in her tail is just about nada, so maybe she will go before monday, lol. Thanks again for all of the tips and info! I will go out and take some more pics in a little while
default_smile.png

Okay, so wth?? Her bag has almost completely deflated on one side!! Grrrr...I am going to need a straight jacket pretty soon...

Pics...sorry if they are huge.

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

Thanks Diane! I wish that I could bribe her to visit! I am sure if she were closer than 1200 miles away, that she would too
default_sad.png
She is an equine reproduction vet. She mostly works on surrogate mares for race horses, but mostly the same thing, minus the size difference ;)

I wrote her an e-mail this am with several questions for her to answer at her convenience. I asked about septicemia in the foal, signs of it, the deflation of her bag yesterday, etc. When she replies, I will certainly share her answers!

Robin seemed pretty relaxed everytime I checked on her last night. She is eating her hay this morning and appears to be feeling normal. I was feeling her belly today, up high on her flank towards her back. On the left side, it was hollow feeling, but on the right, I could either feel a head or a shoulder. Her bag has started to come back some, but still isn't as full as it was.

Pics...

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

So...I have been wondering this ever since I felt it this am. Could the baby be in position and what I am feeling on the right flank is it's head? Could all of the fluid be on the left side and the foal could be kind of off to one side?? I am just completely a mess now. She was progressing so nicely and then nada. I am just afraid something has happened to the baby inside and that is why she has stopped. When a baby dies inside, does the mare usually show signs of this? Discomfort? Illness? Just wondering...I feel so paranoid right now. Ugh...Monday cannot get here soon enough!

When a baby dies inside, does the mare usually show signs of this? Discomfort? Illness? Just wondering...I feel so paranoid right now. Ugh...Monday cannot get here soon enough!
I suppose "not always" is probably the answer to this... Usually the mare will abort a deceased fetus, but occassionally that doesn't happen and the mare will get sick.

My little mare lost her foal this spring, the cord twisted severely, the foal died, and shortly after the mare passed the dead foal. Luckily, my little mare is just fine. [i'm just sick we lost the foal, it was the first she had ever lost, and of course that happened to be the first foal she was to have for me.]

Latest posts

Back