I need help,,,suggestions,,please!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FROM CAROLYN- please correct me if I am wrong, but rifles aren't allowed to be used for hunting in Indiana, Correct? My brother lives there, and whether it is just the county he is in or the entire state. i'm not sure, but he said he can only use a shotgun, anything else is prohibited due to the large open spaces. None the less, with a slug in the casing it can still be launched quite a distance.

FYI-Here ya go for Indiana Hunting methods of take--

Deer Hunting Equipment

FIREARMS SEASON

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season. Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms season only.

Shotguns

Shotguns must be 10, 12, 16, or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets.

Rifled slug barrels are permitted.

Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.

Handguns

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.

Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.

Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include:

.357 Magnum

.41 Magnum

.44 Magnum

.44 Special

.45 Colt

.45 Long Colt

.45 Winchester Magnum

.35 Remington

.357 Herrett.

Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.

Rifles with pistol cartridges

Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.

Some cartridges that are legal include the following:

.357 Magnum

.38-40 Winchester

.41 Magnum

.41 Special

.44 Magnum

.44 Special

.44-40 Winchester

.45 Colt

.454 Casull

.458 SOCOM

.480 Ruger

.475 Linebaugh

.50 Action Express

.500 S&W

Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.

Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber.

Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger.

Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Muzzleloading handguns are allowed.

The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections, to the end of the barrel including the muzzle crown.

MUZZLELOADER SEASON

Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season.

A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from the muzzle, including both powder and bullet. Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber.

Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger.

Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections, to the end of the barrel including the muzzle crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prints in no way looks like a deer with her pinto coloring.
My sister has a herd of deer in her neighborhood that have a beautiful splashy paint coloration. I would not have believed it had I not seen them myself. So there are "pinto" deer in the NW.
default_wink.png

I want to thank you all so much. If this helped just a little to make someone else more aware, then I am glad. But when I started this, I did not know it would end up this way. It has made me more aware, that is for sure.

Problem is, I don't know how you prepare for an accident. We now come in well before dusk.

Prints really is doing well. Had a knot come up, but it had gone down some by this evening.

OutWest,,,I thought of your neighborhood and their signs. Didn't think mine would be allowed.

Wanted it to say,,,My horse was shot in the a**, around here we believe in an eye for an eye.

Would that fly?

Thanks again for all your concern and suggestions to help us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about Prints.Hunting season is really scarey for many people.I lived in the woods for several years and kept my horses in the barn for several days.We had people shoot deer behind my house and drag them over the fence from our property.They had hunted there for years before I bought the farm so they figured it was ok to hunt without permission.I am quite sure if an IQ test was a requirement to get a hunting license there would not be so many licenses given out.Some idiots can spoil things for responsible hunters.Hope your little mare continues to improve.Thank goodness you were able to get a vet out quickly to find the problem.

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your mare, but ever so glad it did not kill her, or you! I did not realize a shotgun would carry from a long ways away? Are you sure it was an accident? What does the Sheriff say? It most likely just happened before you found her.

I'm glad she is going to be okay. I would be livid.........and worry also. I bring mine up when hunting season opens.

I live in Kentucky and I remember several years ago in the small town I live in, a woman was in her house feeding her baby girl and a bullet came thru the window and struck her little girl in the head!!! It was a hunter out shooting deer, and it wasn't that near her house. Thank God the little girl came out of it alive!! You just never know where those bullets will end up. Hunting season is a dangerous time for everyone, livestock included!

Janie

What a shock!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm glad to hear that Prints is doing all right. Poor girl, she sure gets far more than her share of woe doesn't she?

I hope the hunters get a clue!

Caro! First I am sorry I did not see this sooner, I'm not on as much as I used to be but Print-cess is very special to me and always has been. How is she doing now? I know where I live is so wooded and hunters are out in force again because opening day of gun is this Saturday. You've done all you can to protect them. Hug her once for me please. Debs

Since this got brought back up, I thought I'd let you know Prints is just fine! Thanks for your concern, I know I am sure thankful. She has healed with no problems, although she is less excited about any attention paid to her rear these days.
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Hi

How is your little horse doing now? Sorry to hear about the poor little thing being shot. Hunters don't always pay any attention in which direction they are shooting, but really need to. I always worry about that happening here as we have a lot of land, and the neighbors all hunt on it. My dad was almost killed by a stray bullet while sitting on his porch swing. After he stopped shaking, he got pretty upset and went down and ran the hunters off. Glad it wasn't worse for you, and hopefully she will be okay.

Carolyn,

I've been offline for awhile and just found out about your mare. I wanted to say how glad I am that she's doing better and how sorry I am that you & Prints had to go through this. It's very scary to think this can happen.

I get SOME comfort that my boys are right next to the barn where they are being boarded at...but of course that doesn't mean this couldn't happen to one of them, too!
default_unsure.png

I wish the best for you & your mare!

Thank you so much!! Some body got lucky as she has healed just fine. The longer hair covers where she was hit, her gimp is gone and she appears to be back to her normal, self server, bull headed self. All reasons I love her so much!

Oh my gosh--how scary! I, too, hate hunting season. I feel confined. Our pastures are surrounded in fields--all harvested-and the woods are far back, but I close one or both back pastures for the first few days--keep the horses by the barn and up front--just to be safe. I'll always remember this--and always remember to shut those gates.

I'm glad Prints is fine! Her guardian angel was on duty!

Latest posts

Back